Grilled pizza is the perfect summertime dish that is sure to impress your customers with its crispy texture and smoky flavour. If you have a conventional electric oven operating all year round, grilling pizza on an outdoor grill can create those unmistakable charred spots without the need for an authentic wood burning oven. Another benefit of moving your pizza station outdoors in the summer is that it clears up more space in the kitchen which can be dedicated to another part of your operation.
How to make grilled pizza using Mimi’s Dough Ball
To create a thin crust personal size pizza, you may use our 8 oz dough ball for best results. Remove the dough ball from the fridge and allow it to thaw at ambient temperature for approximately 3 hours. After the dough ball comes to room temperature, stretch it to 10 inches in diameter.
Prior to grilling, lightly brush the side that will go on the grill with olive oil, to prevent sticking. Place the dough on the preheated grill (at medium/low heat) and allow it to cook for a few minutes while brushing the top side with olive oil. At this point, the dough should have grill marks on it and should look like it’s starting to set and cook through.
Now it’s time to flip the dough over and start topping it with the toppings of your choice. We’ve outlined some of our favourite summer toppings below to inspire your next creation! Our suggestion is to avoid over-topping the crust, as it can prevent the pizza from cooking evenly all the way through. After topping, cook for a few more minutes until the edges look crispy and the delicious smoky charred spots have started to form. Allow it to cool for a few minutes and enjoy! Please note that cooking times may vary depending on grill type and temperatures.
Mimi’s summer pizza ideas using seasonal fruits and vegetables
- Light and easy: ripe tomatoes and crumbled feta cheese topped with a drizzle of olive oil and fresh basil leaves.
- Mediterranean inspired: a generous spread of hummus topped with roasted red bell peppers, grilled zucchini, roasted red onions and black olives.
- Avocado lovers: avocado and prosciutto topped with arugula and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Rocky road inspired: brush with Nutella and top with toasted marshmallows and your favourite berries.
- Sophisticated: grilled cherries and goat cheese topped with balsamic vinaigrette and arugula.
We hope that these summer pizza ideas will inspire you to create your own delicious masterpiece. Grilled pizza is a creative limited time offer which is sure to delight your customers with its crispy texture and unmistakable smoky flavour. Make sure to check out our Mimi Foods dough balls to get your freezer stocked up just in time for the hottest months!